Collecting memories

 I saw a Facebook post questioning  the middle school's history....when did it change from Chester Ave to Middle School? Was it ever Delran Junior High? 

I tried to do some research. I didn't see anything about the high school execpt it opened for the '75-'76 school year. Presumably when that 9-12 building was in place, the Middle School covered grades 6-8.  When I started in Delran at Millbridge in 71-72 it was K-6 (and the seond year it was open). I'm not sure when 6th grade moved to the Chester Avenue building and what it was called then. 

While the Intermediate School was being built our 5th grade was at the Middle School for two years (Aronson Bell was closed and so was Cambridge I think. Millbridge was K-4 those years I guess). It opened in 1996.

I found this bit of school history for the pre-Intermediate School site on the Delran Historical Society web page: Bridgeboro Grammar School

If anyone has further insight into our school system's history, I would love to hear it! (When did you start and which building? What do you remember?)

One fragment of historical memory I have is the resentment I felt when they budgeted $300 for the Delran bear costume for the HS mascot and we in Millbridge didn't have any yellow construction paper. (That seems pretty petty in retrospect, now that I'm writing it!)

**************************************

Rosina Anthony wrote: You asked about memories of the Delran schools.  I can't remember when Chester Ave School changed names etc., but I can tell you about when I started.  I started in 1968 at Cambridge.  There were only 7 of us teaching there.  My classroom was on the stage because they had to open a kindergarten in the room I was supposed to use.  Mr. Dinger was the principal, but he was mostly at Aronson Bell. I taught third grade with Betty Young.  We switched reading classes.  That was the only grade that had two classes.

I went to my first convention that year and stayed with Betty.  That might have been the first year for the DEA, but I'm not sure.

*******************************************************

Joyce Gutelius wrote: I started in ’92 and before that Tanya was my student teacher at the Elementary School,so I got to know a lot of those faces. Bruce as the Asst principal was right next to my door in the library as they hired me for a year to take over for the librarian  before I was hired. (He also went to my church so I knewhim WAY before I was hired. :-) Plus, I knew many of the  teachers  as both Scott and Kevin had several of them. What memories. Thanks for sharing and taking me back to a time which I will never forget. 



















Comments

  1. Please feel free to add your memories as a comment here, or send to me and I will blog it for you! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment